Friday, October 1, 2010

The Empress of Peking


My boys have a new game.

When daddy comes home from work they speak in squeaky, high-pitched voices and claim to be Grandma. Daddy interviews them to figure out who is the real Grandma.
What is your favorite breakfast? Pasta. (It used to be wine, which CRACKED up the real Grandma)
Do you like to go to the movies? YES!
Who do you love? Michael and Dominic and William and Anna and Mei-Ling with her button nose!
Who is your best friend? Linda!

Last night the game went on painfully long and dominated all of dinner. It was a draw, they are both Grandma.

I have been thinking a lot about Babette lately, she has been gone a week, and I am alone to contemplate the month we had with her. She flew over with us and helped in every way to get settled here in Crowthorne. (If you are considering a similar adventure with small children, be sure you have the help of a loved one!)

Babette is a giver.
The list of what she has done for us is too long to repeat, but it includes giving us her time and her money in various generous amounts, repeat, repeat, repeat.
I am more tit for tat (not in everything, but generally speaking, my mind likes to find order and keep a balance). Being around a giver is a challenge for me, because ideally, I would like to keep up with her generosity, and not be buried in kindness, hopeless to return her favors.



My four children are graced with amazing grandparents. I am grateful to the universe for arranging this gift of love and devotion. How can I ever repay you, Universe?

Silvia and Guillermo, Mexican grandparents extraordinaire. They keep minute tabs on William and Anna, teach them to dance, laugh, argue, to be courteous and to be vital family members. I love them forever and would sell my soul to keep them in our lives. I am who I am, thanks in large part, to them.

Bubbe and Zaide, old fashioned grandparents, adoring them all, especially enjoying the big ones and let's get a babysitter for the under 5 crowd, shall we? Bubbe and Zaide are teaching their grandchildren to believe in psychics, love your spouse passionately, hike, bike, lift weights, drink swampjuice, and play golf when you have mostly grey hair (or when you're old, whichever comes last).

Grandpa Longton loved his grandbabies. Every trait possessed by the grandkids my dad was able to identify as Longton, or possibly Lalonde... No in-laws got credit in my dad's book. Dominic was born with Mike Spacone's man-sized perfect nose and my dad announced, "That's a Longton throwback nose!" What???
Days before my dad's death he was on the floor (yes, with leukemia, in hospice!) showing Michael and Dominic how magnets work, rolling them around his tiny house.

Grandpa Jim is their Harley-riding grandparent. Every kid should have one of those! Jim has massive man hands, rides horses in a crazy sport called "Team Penning" which involves other cowboys yelling curse words and cows with numbers on them. He is a sweet softy who has taught his grandkids the joy, no, not joy, the IMPORTANCE of pasta, and it's equally important partner, red sauce. When we get back to Tucson, I want to party on the beach in Mexico with Jim and the 4 grandkids, of course there will be pasta and lots of wine.

Nana and Papa, sweet, loving, adorable Sacramento grandparents. I love how they swoop in and nail all the kids with their love and attention. Donna is pure tenderness and attention and Pete is a walking love bomb. We are deeply grateful for them in our lives. They are the least Mexican grandparents, but they teach the kids to love El Mezon, mariachi music, and Sonoran hot dogs, which are best consumed in a parking lot in the cool evening of a hot summer. When we are in Tucson again we will go for raspados! This will be Donna's new favorite thing to do.

And there are great grandparents. When I met Mike he had lost only one of the 8 grandparents the universe had given him, today 4 are going strong. So a big saludo to Betty and Lou Adam, Grandma Sally Spacone, and Marge.

I would like to come to terms with the unevenness in relationships. Like that verse from the Bible, "There is a time for every season under heaven." Now is my season to receive from some, and to give to others.


Tea at the Jane Austen museum in Bath.
This is where we discovered the most delicious tea, Empress of Peking.
Of course, Babette surpised me after with a bag of this tea she had secretly bought for me. 

So I take from Babette.
I take her time, her help, her laundry skills, her babysitting hours. I take her money, even though I don't want it. I take her willingness to sit on the floor and build a Lego Starwars ship, I take the stories of her life that she shares, I take her permanent good mood, I take the love she has for my family and her love for our family. And most of all, I take her son, my soul's greatest blessing.

Thank you God in heaven for the love you have packed into Babette, for the caring kindness she heaps on us. May we all be grateful and loving and kind.

And once last gripe, if I may. My husband had better not be deluded into thinking that I will be that good looking when I am in my sixties. Am I right??

9 comments:

  1. With all my love, for you Babette!

    ReplyDelete
  2. anne, the depth of love you are able to so completely and beautifully describe is a gift to all of those of us who read your illucidations! you talk of your discomfort of being the recipient of a giver's givings. the tables are always turned my love...you, in fact, are always the giver and i have received so much from you. thank you for your love, your musings, your teachings and your big fat juicy kisses. I miss you so... i love you barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barby, spoken like a true giver!
    Thank you my sweet friend, I miss you massively and I have flabby arms to prove it. Although, my calves are getting larger by the second.

    God bless you beauteous friend. Hurry over, you will go crazy for Empress of Peking tea! I cannot wait.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne, you make me cry. I love you and your family and and reminded by you always to count my blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear sweet daughter-in-law. I read your last blog and have been filled with sweet tears since. I loved spending time with you, watching you lovingly care for Michael, Dominic and Michael..... seeing how you magically light up when my son walks in the door! Each day watching you make sure Michael and Dominic have lives filled with fun and freedom while you invite them to express their feelings so freely of frustration, anger, sadness, joy and spontaneity. It gave me such joy watching you move between making butterscotch brownies, snuggles and hard rock music in your sweet happy home. I thank God for you and love all of you so very much. There is nothing, I can almost forcibly heap on you, that could compare with the gift I receive by just spending time with all of you.....thank you for my month of laundry, babysitting, lego assembly, wonderful pasta dinners, early bedtimes, walks to Tesco with you and the boys, walks around the lake with the ducks, slugs in the marsh, introduction to Indian food, great times at the Golden Retriever and intense fiction reading for lack of TV or other mind numbing activities! Hugs & love xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, me and my wife also love the empress of Peking tea. We're unsure though whether it can also be drunk with milk.
    Could you clarify if you had yours with milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the tea with milk and sugar...delicious! It is Earl Grey with extra citrus.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Anne, I can have it with milk guilt free now!

      Delete