Friday, September 10, 2010

Businesslike

"Help to give your child confindence when you bring him/her to school in the morning; be fairly brisk and businesslike when you come into school, leave your child promptly with a firm 'goodbye', and be on time to collect your child at the end of the day."
Advice from a booklet, When I start at Oaklands Infant School...

Michael and Dominic have started school. The uniform is gray trousers, a light blue polo, navy blue jumper (sweatshirt) or cardigan with the school badge. Michael started Monday and is immersed in lots of writing and spelling. Dominic's first day was Thursday and he wrote his name for the time by copying his nametag.
"I LOVE SCHOOL!"
I cannot express how proud I am of our guys. They are working HARD. Moving to a new country, into a new house with very few toys, no TV, no Sam Bosco or Rohan or Henry. Starting a new school before any of us has our bearings, and into a new system that teaches "literacy and numeracy" in preschool.

In May Michael finished kindergarden in a dream of a school in Tucson called Second Street Children's School, and Dominic was all set to be in the Bear class this fall. At Second Street they follow the Reggio Emilia philosopy of education which has as it's focus relationships and community, not literacy and numeracy. I am pointing this out to show the drastic change that Michael has encountered. His new classmates not only were reading and writing in kindergarden, they were spelling correctly also. It is going to be a big year for him. He, of course, is chipper. On our way to school day 2, he was singing at the TOP of his lungs, "I LOVE SCHOOL, I LOVE SCHOOL!!" over and over and over. (We are starting to notice how much LOUDER we are than anyone within hearing distance)

Dominic is not to bring "Blankie" to school. Those of you who know Dominic know Blankie. When I heard this I anticipated nervous breakdown size L. To my utter amazement he handled the news very calmly. Day one without Blankie went very well. This morning he announced he was NOT leaving home without Blankie. I said ok to that, and we walked out the door with Blankie in tow, along with backpacks, raincoats, etc. On our walk to school he sniffed up a storm and seemed completely bummed. As the walk progressed he threw B my way and dashed off to cavort with Michael. Arriving at Oaklands he announced B would not be coming with him, but he needed one last sniff. I was holding it and he buried his blond head into my side and sniffed for a full 2 minutes. Oh my baby boy!! To be honest I was thrilled to have Blankie on the walk home. I felt like going to bed for 6 hours to cuddle Blankie.

When Mike and I went to St. Peter's in Rome 10 years ago, we had a tour of the Vatican museum. Our guide told us the Michelangelo felt that his sculpures were already within the stone, placed there by God for him to uncover. I was deeply moved by this and I feel this analogy is true in life. Treasures are buried in our lives and it is our privilege to uncover them. I wrote Mike a note on his birthday in August, 4 days before our departure, that I was excited to discover the treasures buried for us in England.

What I never expected was that the first treasure we would uncover would be our children. I am so moved by their courage and spirit of adventure. I am so thrilled by their ability to have fun at all times. They are so funny, loving, warm, selfish at times, generous and dramatic (right, Lowell?!). Being here with the boys, Babette and Mike for company has focused my attention and opened a door into my boys life that I had not fully experienced in our previously beautiful, full life. I am grateful for this special time.



Treasure #2, Krispy Kreme donuts for sale at the local Tesco. So good and sooooo EXPENSIVE!!



2 comments:

  1. Drama? What drama?
    So happy to hear the boys adjusting so well. Now be a good Brit and make sure to play The Headmaster Ritual by The Smiths for them each morning before school while they eat their blood pudding.

    Love,
    Spaconelesshonezes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lojo, I am learning how to post comments. Thank you for your suggestions. Mmmmm blood pudding, soooo delicious. They love it. Do I have that Smiths'song? I hope I do. Lately I am playing gregorian chants to hype down the hyperactive...do you know what I mean???
    I massively miss you folk.
    Love, the Joneslessspacojonezes...

    ReplyDelete