Sunday, September 5, 2010

So Far So Good On England

We officially have the basics down, beds, blankets, pots, pans, apples, pb and j. Still missing: phones, internet, cars, new computer to skype on, winter coats, etc.
The big news of this past week is that I drove (our rental) for the first time! It had to happen. The wrong side of the road wrong side of the car is the least of it. It is the roads that are so narrow 2 cars can barely (or not) pass each other, cars parking all along the roads, pointing this way and that way.  Add buses wider than one lane of traffic, windy, confusing roads without road signs, drivers who love to honk, and a lexapro free american and you've got yourself excitement!
Do I look nervous?
The absolute best part of driving was scaring Mike. I endured his first week of "Behind the Wheel, Welcome to the UK," sweating, slamming on my invisible brakes, wincing, praying, laughing and yelling occasionally. I noticed a distinct change in the closeness to the left side of the road he has driven, after riding with me in the driver's seat. (If you need to re-read that last sentence, I don't blame you) It is frightening to sit in what should be the driver's seat and let someone nearly/actually run you into the side of the road over and over and over. That said, I think it is going pretty well.

Our boys start school this week. Michael will have Mrs. Terry, a darling 20 something-ish English doll. She is about 6 inches taller than he is and probably weighs 5 lbs less. Dominic was with me and got to meet his teacher and Michael's. Dominic's teacher is my size and age, a lot frumpier (than Michael's teacher) and happens to have frizzy hair. A feature I believe I also possess. After meeting both women, we walked away from the school and Dominic stammered, "Mom, was my teacher...was...was my teacher....the one with the....crazy hair?" When I said yes, his reply was, "Why?"

As promised, we visited Legoland, which is about 20 minutes from our house through beautiful countryside in Winsor. They have the crown jewels in Legos. Charming! It was a highlight for the boys, who have been waiting months for this part of the adventure to happen.


It has been wonderful to see how well the boys are adjusting. We have a nice play set in the backyard and have had nice weather to enjoy the outdoors. The parks here are amazing, packed with tons of children and pregnant women.

Shorts and bare feet
At a fun fair Henley-on-Thames
We visted Henley-on-Thames yesterday with Babette, http://www.henley-on-thames.org/. It is charming almost beyond belief, as are many other towns between here and there. The book The Wind in the Willows was inspired by this part of England. I wish everyone could see this area!

To my sweeties and loved ones I send my warm saludos, hugs and kisses. I miss you and love you.


Here are a few photos with my babies before we left.
I will leave you with Dominic's observation to Mike as we were walking along the wooded path behind our house. He and Michael were running ahead dressed as knight and king and Dominic turned around for a moment and yelled, "Hey Dad, so far so good on England!"

No comments:

Post a Comment