Thursday, December 2, 2010

Sister

New Year's Eve Hutch's Pool Cold Plunge

I love my sister.

Aunt Nin and William
My life is infinitely better because of her.

Sisters post delivery...
The day Shannon coined the phrase,
"Mike, your family is hopped up on squirrel gravy!"

Shannon and Helen.
Her birthday is this weekend. We are a lame present giving family. On my birthday one year Shannon called me and said to go check my backyard, because she had stopped by earlier and left my present there. I found a Target plastic bag with a Merona robe in it, flung over our back gate. And she's the best of us...I am way worse.

My mother saw a psychic once who told her my sister and I are so close, we are like one body with two heads. I am feeling the love for her, and feeling grateful for sisters everywhere.

Dominic's Baptism
Happy Birthday Ninny!! I love you and miss you sooooososososooo much. I am not, without you.

LOVING our girls.
In honor of Shannon's birthday, here are 10 things she has taught me.

1. Old ladies are not so scary.

Shannon worked for Mrs. Lindemulder when she was quite young, I think she was 12 or 13 years old. Poor Mrs. Lindemulder was living with debilitating rheumatoid arthritis. She smelled strange and I was afraid of her because she was frail and close to death. My sister boldly charged into the old woman's life, laughed with her, cleaned her house and kept her company. Time and time again I have seen Shannon waltz into a relationship/situation that makes me completely uncomfortable, with grace and love and charm. She has gone on to have many old lady friends and she gets them to talk about masturbating, among other things.

Clitoris
2. If you don't move, Shannon might vacuum up your toes.

Just ask my brother.


3. All of life is fun, even the sucky parts are funny.

Inaugural ball Sugar Plum Fairy Solo
Flat Jim got lucky.

Kindred spirits
4. Use it up now.

My grandparents left us a few things. Shannon got two antique end tables with antiquier pulls, and a swivelly chair we were forbidden to swivel.  When I was a little girl my grandmother told me the story of the end tables, and of the pulls. She said the pulls were from the time of George Washington. Wow. I felt reverence for them. When my grandmother died I was slightly jealous that Shannon was given the end tables (and the swivelly chair, to be honest, I wanted everything.). Then I was shocked to see my sister put those end table in her home and use them like end tables. The outrage! I would have stored them away, cared for them, loved them.

What a gift my sister and her family are to my grandmother's furniture. Her daughters swivel whenever the mood strikes, and the chair has never looked happier, reupholstered in purple velvet. The end tables are a little worse for the wear, they are blessed with water marks, and the finish is wearing thin.

Getting full use of our dad.
5. Marry a good man.

Tim inspired me to hope. He is bold and daring, a devoted father, huband and human being.


6. The world is full of good people.

Shannon is the kindest person I know. She cares deeply and ferociously and gives fabulous advice.


7. Big calves rule, but stay away from calf enhancers.

Lounging on my sister.
8. Barbara Jean Restin is the best thing since warm homemade bread with butter and honey.

Our other sister.


9. Our brother is worth getting to know.

I was very young when William left us for swimming, college and life. I remember him as this tall, tan, grumpy guy with friends my sister thought were handsome. I knew he was accomplished, and I was proud of that, but I saw no reason to further the relationship. My sister was always a fan of his, I never really got it.


It turns out, she was right. He is all that. First of all, his wife, our smallest sister Mini-Nin.

Isn't she cute??
I love her massively. She is divine.

bff.

High on the Be Good Tanyas.
Shannon and Liz mambo, while Mini and I cut a rug.
Secondly, he is funny, and caring and kind. A lot like my sister.  I love you William.
William's turn with the wig.

Last, best tip from Shannon,

10. Always wear red lip stick.

Not me of course, her.

Comadres at Michael's baptism.

The Grand Peekaboo.

Kwesi's bin.


Eat at Feast.

Fans of the BGTs.

Greer, father's day 2004

Thanksgiving 2007

Rope swing St. Lawrence River, 2004.

Sex After 40

Celebrating Mike's 40th.

Was this your 40th?


Thank you.
(Shrine, Clayton, New York)


8 comments:

  1. what a beautiful post Anne!!! You're so lucky to have such an amazing relationship with Shannon. You are both amazing :) xox shari

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Shari! I feel very lucky. xoxoxo back at you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I don't know your sister and I hardly know you anymore...but this is beautiful and made me cry. You are both very lucky to have and love so much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terrific post Anne. I feel sad that my sister doesn't have a sister.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such a heartfelt posting that it makes my heart ache because I haven't had that life experience and and also brings bittersweet tears for not being close enough to witness it.

    Write the damn book, Anne!

    xoxo donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Teri and David...
    My daughter doesn't have a sister, but she has cousins and friends that are like sisters. I think we can find sisterly relationships in our lives. And I also think the greatest gift I have given my children is their sibs.
    Thank you Donna! xoxoxo!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're both vivacious women. Enjoyed this post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Kristen! Shannon really is something else.

    ReplyDelete