Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving


When we imagined this adventure, I believed there was little I couldn't live without.



I believed in leaving behind our comfy life and embracing the unknown.


I know what it is like to live outside of my culture, to fall madly in love with that life and to be forever changed. (Viva México!) I lived in Mexico for six years, and had quite the grand adventure.


Now that we are a few months into this, I feel the pain from our old life ripping away, like a giant bandaid.

Oooowwww!!


I want to go home...


My ears are tired of this accent, I don't want to hear it anymore. I remember grocery shopping in Mexico and digging through piles of Mexican limes looking for the best ones and feeling like I was one or two limes away from going completely crazy. I can not possibly choose ONE more lime! 


I find myself cleaning this house and wondering why we moved so far away from home so that I could clean a different house.


And the thruthier thruth is that I barely cleaned our Tucson house. We had a housekeeper from heaven that managed it for us. She also did our laundry...in our two washers and two dryers.



Here it takes days and days and days.



And then someone wets the bed and it takes all day to wash and dry everything in our teensy w and d.


And I have to go to the launderette to get the pee out of those bigger items.



And I iron now, because the drycleaners/launderers is too expensive.


And school uniforms need ironing, turns out.


I know.


When we dreamed this dream, I didn't spend all day doing laundry.


And Mike had more time to workout, to play his banjo, to play his guitar.


And I wasn't sick to my stomach missing William and Anna.


 I have a fantasy/vision of life in a compound.


 I entertain myself imagining who will be included.


 Where will we live?


 Who will do the cooking?


 Who will look after the kids?


 Who will clean up?


I suppose, I can look at this time as preparation for the next part of life.


Dibs on the laundry, and you will all be doing your own ironing!

The photos are from a recent day in London. We drove into to town, hit the Natural History Museum, had lunch at The Bengal, got lost in the tube, and finally made our way back to the museum to watch the ice skaters and have a go on the carousel.

Peace be with you.

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful read.
    love cousin Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you my sweet cousin! Tons of love from Crowthorne!! Visit, visit, visit...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am homesick for you and i am at home! as always, full of love and laughter mixed in with a few gigantic tears. you could never get lost in the tube here in tucson! more adventures to come. the restins loves the spacones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you precious Barbara. Get ready for kitchen duty and boss duty. I sound kind of bossy, maybe I should be the boss...
    I love you. I can not wait to not get lost in the tube in Tucson!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anne,
    I haven't written yet but I miss you all the same! Anna and cousin Katie are over here with Mariah at least once or twice a week and I give Anna some mama loving. Well I do love her like a mama!
    She is maturing in her look and attitude in a way that will make you proud!
    I know you a especially homesick this time of year but if there is anything I can do for your kids here let me know.
    And remember " It's not the destination but how you take the journey"
    Love to Mike and the boys,
    Monica
    PS. I just got back from from Egypt where Richard and I renewed our 25th wedding anniversary vows in the King's Chamber of the Great Pyramid! Talk about a journey! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Monica! We skyped with Anna when she was spending the night at your house, and we loved seeing your living room! She told us you and Richard were in Egypt, what a wonderful adventure. We are so happy for you.
    Thank you for loving up our young woman. We miss her so much, but she seems great, and it feels so good knowing she is being mothered by her other mamas. I love the update, and I miss you too. Much love to you and Richard!

    ReplyDelete