Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Happiness

This morning somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 am, Michael woke us up due to nightmare. As I tried to control my mind to wake up and interact as minimally as necessary, aiming to GO BACK TO SLEEP, I noticed how bright it was outside. It is the opposite of our winter which brought us total darkness from 5 pm to 8 am. These days we put the boys to bed in complete daylight. It feels a little strange, but they have stopped complaining about how bright it is. Michael asks for the blinds to be closed while we read books, even though there is enough light to read by. He needs to pretend there is dark. Life at latitude 51.376612 is very exciting.

I am feeling much happier, finally feeling adjusted to our life in Crowthorne. The brightness helps, sunshine on my shoulders does indeed make me happy. Even if a sweater is involved. I met an American woman who has recently moved to the area, and she said that this business of calling 60 degrees warm just wasn't working for her. I loved it so much. I LOVE listening to the complaints and struggles of my non-native friends. It is life affirming and fills me with mirth.

Jesus, by Dominic

Another happiness helper is all the visitors we have had. Since March we have had visitors all but a few weeks. My mother, Mike's parents, Anna,




and currently my sister. The day after she leaves William arrives! Also, our friends the Sterlings came by and played for a day and we ate up their Tucson tales.

Shannon, Mike and I met our Tucson friends Tim and Robin in Winchester to see an al fresco play of Sense and Sensibilty. By al fresco I mean al pouring rain-o. It turned into a wet robe à l'anglaise contest. I spied an areola or two. It hasn't rained very much since March, even causing a rare forest fire which prompted the evacuation of parts of Crowthorne. But the day and night of Sense and Sensibilty, the heavens opened. The audience covered ourselves with umbrellas, trash bags for legs and feet, and blankets for warmth. We could see the actors breath. Pretending not to be cold or soaking wet for their craft.

Oh how we love Jane Austen!

But not enough to stay for the second act. Needing to relieve our babysitter, we picked up our dinner things and the seven dining room chairs we brought because we that is all we have to sit on, and high tailed it back to a warm bath.

The play was at Lainston House Hotel. Beautiful. If you are well to do, stay there. If not, check out their special events or go for afternoon tea. Lovely.

My sister and I have been having los and los of fun. We visited Netherfield Park, the country home of Mr. Charles Bingley. It is also known as Basildon Park. It was a great outing. The guided tour of the house is in depth.



Yesterday we walked from Henley-on-Thames to Marlow, an 8 - 9 mile walk that is fabbydoo!!!

Shannon-on-Thames

Today we are going to Bath...but first I have to help Michael do his homework, due today! I have neglected my real job of late. His assignment is to cook something with a parent, write the recipe and include a photo. We made corn tortillas with the masa Barb sent, and added some English cheddar to make quesadillas with a British accent.


No comments:

Post a Comment