Monday, June 20, 2011

Present Heart


Mr. Darcy and Mrs. Bennet.
He has 10,000 a year!

My sister's visit is over. She landed safely in Tucson early this morning and just sent me a text to tell me that she is staying on England time and is ready for wine.


Jane Austen Museum Regency Tea Room

It's 8 o'clock in the morning there.

Bath Abbey
I was sad all day yesterday after dropping her off at Gatwick, and enjoyed indulging my tears.




As it was Father's Day and Mike was out of town, I was free to wallow. He's on a trip to South Africa and hopefully he gets to visit a game park.


Interior Bath Abbey

I am keeping my fingers crossed for rhinos and hippos.


I loved spending time with my sister. She loved Bath, which made me happy.

Bath Abbey
I have been there handful of times since moving here. Wells was recommended to me as similar to Bath, but maybe even better...I want to check it out.




We also went to JANE AUSTEN'S HOUSE (!!) in Chawton, Hampshire...

Bakehouse.
I thought I might sob with excitement. I surprised myself and cried after visiting her tomb in Winchester Cathedral in March with my mom. I felt incredibly sad about her early death, her sister Cassandra's loss of a most beloved companion.

Similar to Shannon's serenity prayer, "Gimme what I want!"
We managed not to cry at her house in Chawton. The town is extremely charming, with a population of less than 400 in the year 2000, and many of the homes from the 16th and 17th centuries.


Kate Winslet's dress from Sense and Sensibility is TEENY!
She lived in the cottage with her mother and sister Cassandra for the last 8 years of her life.


Jane's writing table.
There she revised Sense and Sensibility and Pride and Prejudice, and wrote Mansfield Park, Emma, and Persuasion. 


These smell even better than they look.
Jane's father died while the family were living in Bath and his wife and two daughters were left with very little income.

Jane and Cassandra's bedroom
Jane's older brother Edward was adopted by his father's wealthy cousin when he was 16 years old and became Edward Austen Knight, eventually inheriting a large fortune and estate in Chawton.

die Toilette.
Four years after Reverend Austen died in Bath, Edward Austen Knight refurbished the cottage in Chawton and allowed his mother and sisters to live rent free for the rest of their lives.


A prayer by Jane Austen.
 Jane's brother had an income of £15,000 a year, £5,000 greater than Mr. Darcy's.


Jane, Cassandra and Mum sewed this patchwork bedcover.

It was thrilling to see her writing table, covered with old scritches and scratches.


And the garden is lovely.


It was easy to imagine her enjoying her cozy life. She shared a small room with her sister, despite there being rooms to spare.


That is true sisterly affection.


I am grateful for sharing space with my sister for a week, but mostly bummed that it passed so quickly, and that our adventure has taken us so far away from the ones we love most.

Jane's next door neighbor
I know that we have wonderful adventures remaining in the coming year, and I'm excited for more travel and more discovery. William comes tonight, and he and I are going to Athens for baby Isabella's baptism this weekend. More dreams coming true.


More neighbors
But this minute I just want to crawl in bed with my sister and laugh and laugh and laugh. I have missed her so much that I had trouble relaxing and enjoying her visit. I was too aware of how little time we had, I failed my Buddha 101 exam, Staying Present...

Nin, I love you so much!! Thank you for leaving your busy life and sharing yourself with us for 7 days of heaven. Thank you life for bringing us together for a moment in beautiful England.

God help me to have a present heart and to notice all of the gifts and magic that whirl around me everyday.

And a housekeeper wouldn't hurt.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, Anne, this is a beautiful ode to your sisterhood. I loved reading your words and can only imagine Shannon's wise cracks in parantheses. You two are special and I only wish we all had more time with one another. Have a wonderful time with William, et al., give him my best regards. Love and hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete