Monday, October 3, 2011

Butterfly's Wings

We have two apple trees that are good for climbing and for eating apples.


One of them makes cooking apples, and one eating apples. That is how people refer to apples here. I had never heard of straight up cooking apples before, but they taste amazing uncooked also.



Our eating apples are mostly red on the outside and very stripey red inside. They are gone now, which makes me sad thinking we won't be here for next year's crop.



After listening half bored for the last few years to my mother raving about the smoothies she makes every morning, I decided to try for myself and use up an apple or two.



They are quite tasty, I have to admit. My sister is on the same kick, and she insists that the banana is key.



Last year I wrote that this adventure was making of us a family soup (Soup), but lately I feel more smoothie. Our separate selves are being whipped and whirled together in this blender of non-stop intense togetherness.



The other day Mike said his tip for anyone thinking of having a similar adventure would be to make sure you REALLY like each other.



How much time can four people spend together?



Is it healthy to spend this much time together?



I want to remember that this closeness is precious, even while I am missing my two big pollitos so far away.


My grandmother wrote a poem about raising children and said that the journey can feel heavy, or light like a butterfly's wing, and that we decide which it will be.





Bubbe's Smoothie

1 apple
1 orange
1 banana
1 peach, pear, plum, kiwi, or any fruit of your choice
1 big handful of raw greens (spinach, kale, chard, etc)

Roughly chop all the fruit, add a few dribbles of cold water and
blend until smooth. 

2 comments:

  1. As a homeschooling parent for 15 years, one of the 1st things I had to get used to was that I wasn't going to get a break from our kids (as in sending them to school). Right away, I realized that I had to change my perspective about being together. I've learned how to behave differently when I'm with them. As a parent, I save and conserve my energy. I don't try to be "on" all the time for them. I relax and chill out by letting them alone to play when they are engaged or setting out a new experiences (a puzzle) on the table and letting them discover it. Or, I start doing something I'm interested in and their curiosity gets them involved too.

    Imagine all the things your kids and you have learned together, as a family. They seem to be thriving!

    Also, insist that everyone must get along, share their things, and help out. Sure it's easier to do stuff yourself, but the kids have to learn how to help properly. And it shows them how they fit in the family and how they are needed to make it all work.

    Bla bla bla. You have more experience than I do, having an older son. I'm just trying to share my perspective and hope that it's different enough to possibly help.

    Smoothies make everyone happy.

    Great photos as a metaphor for "being together."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kristen, I really appreciate your comment and value your perspective. Just this morning I was thinking about you when I thought for a minute about how we wanted to homeschool them here. I am going to answer you more fully in a message :)
    xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete