Sunday, October 23, 2011

Milk Mustache

Michael had his eighth birthday!

Birthday breakfast.



Wishes and smoke.
 His birthday wish was to go to Toys R Us and choose his presents.


I was amazed by the free-for-all at We Be Toys. Children were yelling, chasing each other, and riding bicycles and scooters that were for sale all over the store. With our cart we pushed through abandoned vehicles left in aisles. Seemed so un-British, as they are often concerned with being quiet, rules, and health and safety.



The next day we took Michael, Dominic and three friends to an indoor water park called the Corral Reef. It was interesting to see the difference in water skills between our desert dwellers and the little Brits. They had a super time maneuvering through the rapids and going down water slides. Precious babies!



At the suggestion of my cousin Ellen I decided to climb a magnificent oak tree that grows along the River Blackwater near Horseshoe Lake.



I'm not strong enough to haul myself from this position onto the branch. The day after trying this for the first time I was nearly incapacitated with sore muscles.


Mike and Michael are in tree-climbing shape.


Something I can aim for.

The Golden Rules of 3S Class.

This next photo illustrates how Mike and I are feeling about getting our driver's licenses here in the UK. It's more than a little frustrating. And expensive, we estimate it will cost us at least £1000 including all license and test fees and instructor fees. I failed my first practical exam, which is a 38 minute driving test. I sobbed all the way home; my driving instructor Chris was very comforting and called me "love" a few times. I was left feeling grateful for the kindness of strangers.



Michael had a cross country meet later that same day in Marlow. It was a beautiful day, and I loved seeing 170 year 3 and 4 boys in their school colors dashing across fields and woods that line the Thames. It's good to get knocked down now and then.

Anna's kitty original, this totally cheers me up.
I've been to London recently on my own. Once to see the Treasures of Heaven exhibition at the British Museum.

Man of Sorrows.
This is a photo of my favorite. The image of Jesus is constructed from tiny mosaic tiles set in wax. The small boxes surrounding the image contain relics from 200 saints.

And the other day I was massively excited to meet my friend Carrie who was in London for business. She invited me to an over the top champagne afternoon tea fest at The Connaught Hotel in Mayfair.


She knows her way around much better than I do and I loved exploring with her.


On my way home through Paddington Station there was a band of old men playing Light Calvary.


It was rousing.

These coupons come regularly in the mail, a romantic dinner for two made personally by Domino's Pizza. In the past they have repulsed me and I cannot get them into the recycling fast enough.


 I have to admit they are looking better and better all the time, just to give you an idea of my current standards.

Other things I want to remember...

Riding bikes with Dominic today up to the Crowthorne High Street he pointed to the Crowthorne Baptist Church and asked, "Mom, is this a school for old ladies?"

Seeing ginger baby girl cow with white eye lashes at Horseshoe lake almost as big as her black mama enjoying num nums. So delicious! She had a foamy milk mustache and tiny pink udders.






4 comments:

  1. Nin, I love your blog so much! Just keep sobbing and blubbering until you get what you want! PS The painting is yours! xxoo, Nin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Michael!

    --Got to keep trying to climb trees eh?

    I thought it was funny that it made you so sore and I could totally relate, not to climbing trees (I've given that up.) but to the fact that our bodies are sure changing from what they used to be able to do. Use it or loose it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine (Parker) KellyOctober 31, 2011 at 11:12 AM

    that is funny -- "school for old ladies" - it reminds me when we were walking in Buenos Aires and Colette asked "what is that building with the plus sign on it". I am afraid our religious instruction has been lacking.

    ReplyDelete