Saturday, September 3, 2011

Cornwall

If you are so inclined, play this song by Florence and the Machine while you read this post :) it is my anthem today.


This friendly Jack Russell liked chasing sand balls.
Dominic didn't really get the game and lobbed one straight into it's gullet.

We went to Cornwall for a bank holiday weekend. Weekend is pronounced weeKEND, by the way. Cornwall is the southwest corner of England, a former Celtic nation.


We chose Newquay (pronounced NEWkey) on the advice of our neighbors. I have been suspicious of the beach in the UK, always believing that a beach vacation means sunburn along with bathing suits full of sand.


The day we arrived was chilly, 59 degrees, cloudy, windy and chispeteando. So as we sat on the beach wearing sweaters, I had my doubts.

Wind and wand.


We lasted about an hour before moving to the heated outdoor pool for about 1/2 an hour. Then we ended up huddled in a crappy jacuzzi in the bowels of the hotel. Of course it was fun.


We got cleaned up and headed out for a walk before dinner. Take Mike, add a few excited boys and sheer cliffs and AVADA KEDAVRA! A killing curse on his sense of humor.


He yelled about 50 times, "GET AWAY FROM THE CLIFF!" which I appreciated, of course.

Angelito.

A few weeks ago I wrote in Shiplake to Shiplake that I wanted time to stop. I wanted my children to stop growing and changing.


And then I spent all weekend in Newquay (just one week after Mike's bday) wishing Dominic would grow UP!!!

I am holding their hands and bodies so they don't wham into each other.
His smallness got in my way.

Hard to appreciate in photo, but this was very steep.

He got cold a lot. His idea of fun was the indoor pool.






Father and son.

Mike Smith loved this place, RIP.

Optimistic Brits selling ice cream in all sorts of wind and rain.







Day two, weather much improved, we squeezed ourselves into wetsuits. Michael and Dominic took a body boarding lesson and Mike went surfing.



I tagged along to photograph the cuteness and get in some ocean time.


Michael is a beast of a child. He has a  huge appetite for rambuncious play in questionable weather. He can ski all day and then begs to go sledding despite frozen bodyparts.


On this trip he got a painful rash from the wetsuit, but toughed it out.


But our little Nickers is skinny and chills quickly and his ill fitting wetsuit didn't help. Gemma the surf angel let me know that Dominic was too cold to finish his hour body surfing lesson.

Gemma from Surfing is Therapy cheering up Dominic.

He shivered pathetically, looking to me with hope that I would help him. All I wanted was more time by myself to romp in the ocean.

Fistral Beach, high tide.

Mike recently had his 15 year anniversary with his company. ('GRATULATIONS!!) They sent him a gift catalogue, and he got a new bike.

Headlands Hotel, stay here, it's groovy.
Selfishly, I want my 23 year mothering prize. Where's my catalogue?



I loved the rocks!

I want to swim in the ocean, not worrying about my thin, cold child. Not being pleaded with to go swim in the indoor pool in the heated basement when there is ocean to enjoy.


I want him to grow up so I can have more fun. That is the truth.


I want him to have what he needs, to feel loved and adored and warm and safe.


Dominic's philosopher's stone, à la Harry Potter.






And I want to do my own thing.


Michael with piece of cake rock.

The other side.

Look for curious spinger spaniel faces peering over.

Loving mother of four.

Sticky Toffee Pudding for Mommy, now that's fun!


View from dining room at Headlands Hotel.

The third day, Dominic wanted to check out and get on the road. We had other plans and he kicked and screamed. And then he got into his baggy wetsuit.


And lasted 10 minutes or so, then needed to get out. Too cold.


Sad face.




Gypsy.
Mike waved his magic wand, and Gypsy the doggie appeared. She had a real ball to chase, no sand balls in the mouth for her.



Now we are dreaming of renting a place near the beach for our last hurrah in England.


We will definitely be investing in an extra small wetsuit!


PS We LOVED Fistral Beach! It was gorgeous, and we would love to go back to Newquay. I loved the geology, the rocks were so pretty and layered. England is absolutely gorgeous. I am in love with it! Another thing, something tiny stung my foot in the ocean and it really burned.

PPS Another note, my husband, in addition to being a great father and stepfather, is very generous and encouraging of me to do my own thing. He is the very best.

5 comments:

  1. seems similar to the Oregon coast...often quite chilly. We always bring warm weather clothes to the beach; it is natural to us now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne-one of your best! Simple, raw honesty. I felt your emotion with clean, crisp writing. How's the book coming along?

    I'm not sure we will recognize the boys when we see you next Spring...big changes since last summer when we visited. Doesn't that seem so long ago?
    Give everyone a hug and a kiss from us. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christine, I would love to know if you get in the ocean in Oregon...I visited the coast of Oregon once, I loved it. So dramatic, the forest meeting the sea. I hope you are settled back into your life. I cannot wait!

    ReplyDelete