Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Date with Michael

Intoxicating scent! I wish I could share it. On the Thames path to Henley, leaving Shiplake.

This past weekend Mike and I decided to divy up the boys and have some alone time. It was my turn for a date with Michael.


He was very disappointed.  Clearly daddy and Dominic were going to have a better time than we were.


"Are we going to a museum?" he wimpered. He knows me so well.


We visited The Vyne, a National Trust house near Basingstoke.
 
Tea and chocolate cake soothe a sad tummy.
Tea, scones and clotted cream for me.
Originally built as a great Tudor 'power house', The Vyne was visited by King Henry VIII on at least three occasions and later became the Chute family home for more than 350 years.


William and I visited the Vyne this summer. It was also visited by Jane Austen! At the time, there was a young woman living with the family, a poor relation.


It is suggested that she was the inspiration for the character of Fanny Price in Mansfield Park.


Michael and I had a great time. He took off his shoes and tried to climb a giant tree. He marveled at the amount of goose poop on the lawn. I listened to riveting stories of the Hulk, Cyclops, Mr. Fantastic and a character of his invention, "Muscle Man."



We skipped the home tour and explored the gardens.

Fig tree in walled garden.


Mid story.


Apples.

We discussed who might be happier, the family who lived in this home, or our family.

Chickens!
Michael said he thought we were happier, because we love each other so much, and family is really important to us.

Lady Feathington Von Clucksworth
 But we both agreed, it would be pretty fantastic to have both our happy family AND live at The Vyne...


 
Master of bubble blowing. Always with the bubbles!
Every single time he washes his hands.

1 comment:

  1. Mike and I are fascinated by the turn that children make from distressed and annoyed to willing participants. The moments when they are spazzing about whatever it is that they don't like about what we want to happen next are exhausting for me. But then suddenly magic happens and they find a way to enjoy the plan. I would like a chant, or a prayer or a little yellow pill to get me through the time before the turn.

    ReplyDelete