Sunday, January 15, 2012

Christmas 2011

As a soundtrack for this blog post, play this video. I am obsessed with this song, O Magnum Mysterium.


William and Anna arrived safely mid-day on Christmas Eve, gracias a Dios y a todos los santos!! They flew in from visiting their dad and family in Los Mochis, Sinaloa, Mexico, a long trip, straight into my sobbing heart. They are very sweet and let me hug and cry, lather, rinse, repeat, in the middle of busy Heathrow.



 Happy Christmas! We got right down to business.


I love Christmas crackers, a British tradition. Inside these festive tubes are small toys, jokes and paper crowns.


Plus they pop like a cap when you pull them open just so.


Michael is a super social director. During our Christmas Eve dinner he asked questions, got everyone to tell stories and ran the show. Then he entertained us by telling the story of how he stole William's machete, a gift from his dying grandfather, and tucked it under his bed when he was five. I will never forget the phone call at work I received from our housekeeper when she found the large blade under his bed.


He found it, liked it, wanted it and took it.


Santa came in the night, ate mince pies, drank milk and his reindeer nibbled carrots. Thank you Anna for seeing to that detail.


Why did I buy these honking stockings? They take a LOT of stuffing.

Poncho!

I love this photo of Mike and William.

Did Santa bring a Nimbus 2000???
When William was about five he looked at me with disdain and told me that SANTA KNOWS WHAT BOYS LIKE, and that I most definitely DID NOT KNOW WHAT BOYS LIKE...


So hard not to spill the beans then and there.

Santa brought 4 whoopie cushions, so rude!

Dr Who!!



Mike and I agreed to no Christmas presents for each other, and then like a scene from a sitcom he busted out my present, a Kindle. I was mortified, because I had a very small gift for him, running gloves, hat and tights. I will never fall for that bullcrap again. Next year I just might buy him a car we can't afford!

Puffles!
Funny faced sister!


Michael and Dominic discovered that older sisters make very interesting cookies.




Michael's naked lady, the sincerest form of flattery.


Ready to bake.
Dominic saw to the decoration of naked lady.


Lots of bloody gashes, attacked by piranhas.



Anna's giant mermaid cookie inspired a photo shoot.


Which inspired Dominic to do the same.

Harrison and Dominic.
 These drawings are from last Christms; I love them.

He'll eat your cookies and your carrots!
by William.
I was very happy to be able to spend this holiday with just the six of us. I don't know if there will ever be another time when we can celebrate with our immediate family just to ourselves. It felt very special, another treasure thanks to our British adventure.

by Michael.



O magnum mysterium
et admirabile sacramentum,
ut animalia viderent Dominum natum,
jacentem in præsepio.
Beata virgo, cujus viscera meruerunt
portare Dominum Christum, Alleluia!

O great mystery
and wondrous sacrament,
that animals should see the newborn Lord
lying in their manger.
Blessed is the Virgin whose womb was worthy
to bear the Lord Jesus Christ. Alleluia!

1 comment: